Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things

I recently watched The Sound of Music with Lula. I wanted to introduce her to a different Julie Andrews movie - who doesn't love Julie Andrews, right?! Once the songs started up, she was hooked. She hasn't asked to watch it since (she is keeping true to Mary Poppins), but it has been fun hearing her run around the house singing "Do, Re, Mi".


I love the scene where Maria wins over the Von Trapp children during the storm. Because I have noticed that my mood has been affected by the cold, gray days this week, I thought maybe a list of a few of my favorite things would cheer me up.


- Lula in her footie pj's. It could be because I rarely see her wearing anything... she is such a naked little one, but there is something ridiculously cute about her in those pi's. She puts them on after she wakes up, of course.


- Jeremy's new found love of baking. He is currently baking his way through Sur La Table's The Art and Soul of Baking. One thing I love about him is his willingness to try new things. He loves a challenge, always has some sort of project going, and is never bored. 


- Facebook. Being a stay at home mom, especially one who lives out in the woods, can be isolating. With infant twins, who are quickly approaching the 3 month mark, and a 3 year old, it is not so easy to get out and about like I used to. Not to mention the weather is less than inviting. Facebook helps me stay connected and allows me to have some adult interaction during the days we are home. Facebook has given me the opportunity to reconnect with old friends and has allowed me to forge connections with new friends. Gotta love technology.


- Nutella. 'Nuff said.


- Food blogs! When we moved to Spokane I discovered food blogs: Smitten Kitchen, Joy the Baker, Everybody Likes Sandwiches. Planning weekly menus and trying new recipes makes me very happy.


- These two incredibly happy, easy going babies, Xainte and Twila. I feel so lucky to be the mother of twins; it is such a unique experience. Especially after losing Clover in 2010, I know how lucky we are to have these baby girls in our lives. I can't wait to get to know them better.


- Long car rides. Let's face it, every car ride in Maine is a long one. I have been told that in Maine people don't necessarily know how many miles away something is, and because (at least where we live) there are no blocks to measure, distance is measured in the time it takes to get to where you're going. Long drives give me the opportunity to clear my mind, and are often when Jeremy and I have our best conversations.


- This moment right now. Twila and Xainte are sleeping peacefully. I am watching Lula and Jeremy bake focaccia bread together. They are two peas in a pod. Jeremy is a wonderfully attentive, patient, and loving father. Watching them together brings me more joy than I ever imagined I could know. 

In the time it has taken me to write up this list, the babies have started to stir and the sun has come out, Lula has covered herself in flour (picture a white beard on her little face), and my mood has greatly improved.  


Now, off to make outfits for the girls... but which curtains shall I use?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Lindy. I love your blog. It is so upbeat and interesting to read. You paint wonderful pictures with your words. I can picture Lula with flour all over her face and almost smell the focaccia she and Jeremy are baking. You write beautifully. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a beautiful transition, Lindy! You captured the moment perfectly.

    ReplyDelete